Friday 6 March 2009

Mother of a good idea

For the past ten years I've tended to ignore the hoopla of the annual run-up to Mothering Sunday, what with it no longer having an immediate personal relevance.

But now, thanks to a splendid idea from (who else?) The Mothers' Union, I feel once again motivated to join in.

MU's splendid aim and purpose is 'to demonstrate the Christian faith in action by the transformation of communities worldwide through the nurture of the family in its many forms'.

I've just discovered their 'Make a Mother's Day' scheme, whereby a donation can purchase very practical gifts to improve the lives of mothers and families in developing nations worldwide. Click the link to check out the options.

My only problem is choosing the gift that would have given most pleasure to my mother, a woman of definite views who, on a good day, could make Lady Bracknell appear vague and vacillating.

In the end I've decided to fund some poultry and a hen house - and thanks to this very inclusive scheme, I shall be able to tag my gift 'in memory' of my mum, pictured here, with friend, at work on the Home Front in the early days of WW2.

No comments: